Monday, December 17, 2007

Beth, Cathy, Jan, Cindy and Ed, please grow up

This was posted by Anonymous 12/15/07 8:12pm

I will pass on the issue of whether W.C. is a good city manager or not. What disturbs me most about this situation is: (1) How poorly Funk handled it with his unilateral action, but then (2) how poorly the 9 council members responded with their own equally unilateral action. The 9 wish to claim that they were only responding to Funk's lack of inclusiveness (and rightfully so at first), but then they themselves respond with an equally non-inclusive action by ramrodding a 3.5 year contract down the taxpayers throat with NO, and I mean NO, notice or discussion. We voted for these people, and they left us (and the other council members) out of the loop as well. I for one would have like to have known what they were doing before it was done. This was bad government, and bad politicians, at their worst. At that point, the gang of 9 lost any credibilty to claim the moral high ground that they were only responding to, and thus trying to fix, Funk's lack of inclusiveness. This is clearly just a "show" argument without real substance. Clearly, this was nothing more than a power play by BOTH sides to get what they want. Saddly, in this power play the real losers are the citizens of this city that have to watch 13 adults behave like spoiled children. I have lived in this city for alomst 45 years, and I have NEVER been this disgusted with a council before. ALL of them are merely advancing their own agendas at our expense.I have watched the hearing twice and I am very disappointed in many of the people I personally supported with both money and time. However, I am most disappointed in two people: Cathy Jolly and Beth Gottstein (Jan a close third). Each ran on a platform of cooperation and advancing the agenda of the people/city over thier own. They showed their colors by joining into the fray and adding their voices to the cacophany of anger and hate. These two women know better, they just chose to pursue their own agendas over what was right: Attempting to work a resolution of the matter before embarassing this entire city with their conduct and chaos.As Shakespeare wrote, "A pox on all your houses," and truer words were never written about this council. This ENTIRE council should be ashamed and embarassed about how they are behaving. If they are not, then Lord knows I am embarassed enough by them for all of us. I have to spend this Christmas explaining once again to my in-laws in Kansas why I and my husband still live in KC. My residency has just become much harder to defend. I am sad tonight for my city, and that this is my city council.Beth, Cathy, Jan, Cindy and Ed, please grow up over Christmas, because right now you are killing us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to say, but I agree with this post. I just hope somebody shows some leadership and moves this city out of this mess.

Anonymous said...

I too watched the council in action, both live and when it aired on channel 2. This is a divided council and this is an unstable government. We can not sell our city to businesses. No company will relocate here unless we shore up our public institutions. The 3 1/2 year contract is plain wrong. Council, go back to the Mayor and negotiate a shorter term. Put the collective eye to the CM office. This was not a "win", this was a public trouncing of a stupid mayor who is willing to be imperialistic. We can not carry the burden of an ill conceived contract for Cauthen. As for the ancillary issues that bubbled out of the mayor's office.. the EEOC complaint. So far we have not heard from Squit an apology, a simple apology. Nothing as stingy as a "sorry" begrudgingly attached to an out of court settlement mind you. Just a human and very American act... an apology. As they say, "it aint over 'til the fat lady sings" SING! SQUIT! SING! sing on your way out the door!!
Here, I'll start for you...
Ave Maria ...

Anonymous said...

I agree with this post as well. However, I can see a light at the end of a tunnel. Now that I have found my way out of the employment of the City, I too will b looking to relocate outside the city limits. I can no longer justify to anyone, family or friends, why I should live in Kansas City, MO. Move out if you can! Maybe the politians will get the clue that the citizens of Kansas City are fed up with their childish ways!